I recently had oral surgery and was on a soft food diet for a few weeks. This soup and smoothies helped me survive. This recipe is very quick to pull together if you have the right ingredients.
I used the following ingredients, but you can make substitutions based on what you can find easily or have on hand.
These are the ingredients I used that makes this a great lazy day soup that still tastes decadent and rich. You don’t even need to be sick or get dental surgery to enjoy it. Here’s a tip, if you can’t chew anything, you can puree the soup even more. I had to do this for a few days, and it was delicious.
- Beyond Meat Chicken-Free Strips
- Trader Joe’s Mirepoix (or dice 2 carrots, 2 stalks of celery and one small onion)
- Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base
- Cadia Brown Rice Macaroni (or your favorite small pasta)
- Raw cashews soaked in water for 2 hours or 20 minutes in hot water
- 8 cups of water
- 1 package of Beyond Meat No Chicken Strips
- 1/2 package of Trader Joe’s Mirepoix (or dice 2 carrots, 2 stalks of celery and one small onion)
- 8 oz of brown rice elbow macaroni (or your favorite small pasta)
- 2 – 3 teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base (to taste)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked in water for 2 hours
- Soak the raw cashews in water for 2 hours. If you are short on time, use hot water and the cashews will be ready by the time the soup is. You will be blending the cashews with some of the soup to make a decadent cream sauce.
- Sauté the mirepoix (onions, celery, carrots) in a small amount of oil or vegetable broth for 5 – 10 minutes until onions are translucent and starting to brown.
- Add 8 cups of water and 2 – 3 teaspoons of the No Chicken Base (this adds the salt, so start with 2 teaspoons and add more to taste) and bring to a boil.
- Chop the Beyond Meat No Chicken Strips into small bite size pieces. You can also hand shred if you want larger chunks of “chicken”.
- Add the Beyond Meat to the soup base.
- When the soup base boils, add the pasta and stir. Cook according to package directions until pasta is al dente.
- Drain the cashews and add to a blender with 2 cups of the soup. Blend well until creamy. A Vitamix or high speed blender will take about 1 minute. Other blenders may take longer.
- Add the creamy base back to the soup and stir to combine.
- Taste and add salt or more broth base if needed.